Monday, January 20, 2014

Picturing heaven

Excerpt 5 of 10 from “The Weight of Glory”

heavens-jewels-kevyn-bashoreHeaven is, by definition, outside our experience, but all intelligible descriptions must be of things within our experience. The scriptural picture of heaven is therefore just as symbolical as the picture which our desire, unaided, invents for itself; heaven is not really full of jewelry any more than it is really the beauty of Nature, or a fine piece of music. The difference is that the scriptural imagery has authority. It comes to us from writers who were closer to God than we, and it has stood the test of Christian experience down the centuries. The natural appeal of this authoritative imagery is to me, at first, very small. At first sight it chills, rather than awakes, my desire. And that is just what I ought to expect. If Christianity could tell me no more of the far-off land than my own temperament led me to surmise already, then Christianity would be no higher than myself. If it has more to give me, I must expect it to be less immediately attractive than “my own stuff”. Sophocles at first seems dull and cold to the boy who has only reached Shelley. If our religion is something objective, then we must never avert our eyes from those elements in it which seem puzzling or repellent; for it will be precisely the puzzling or the repellent which conceals what we do not yet know and need to know.

C.S. Lewis, “The Weight of Glory,” a sermon preached at the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Oxford on June 8, 1941 and published in most recently in C.S. Lewis Essay Collection: Faith, Christianity and the Church.

Technorati Tags:
IceRocket Tags:

1 comment: