Monday, March 7, 2011

Dick and Jane: Life Change (Part 3)

fun_with_dick_and_jane Natural causes come together in Dick to make a pleasant psychological pattern, just as they come together in a sunset to make a pleasant pattern of colours. Presently (for that is how nature works) they will fall apart again and the pattern in both cases will disappear. Dick has had the chance to turn (or rather, to allow God to turn) that momentary pattern into the beauty of an eternal spirit: and he has not taken it.
    There is a paradox here. As long as Dick does not turn to God, he thinks his niceness is his own, and just as long as he thinks that, it is not his own. It is when Dick realises that his niceness is not his own but a gift from God, and when he offers it back to God—it is just then that it begins to be really his own. For now Dick is beginning to take a share in his own creation. The only things we can keep are the things we freely give to God. What we try to keep for ourselves is just what we are sure to lose.

C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity (1952; Harper Collins: 2001) 212-213.

3 comments:

  1. I think that this shows Lewis at his very best. He has keen insights into human nature. He also exposes our tendency to be superficial in our judgements, which - in my view - is why Jesus teaches us not to judge. We simply don't know enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martin:
    Great comment. In fact, you sounded like Lewis ;)
    I'm happy you found your way to Mere C.S. Lewis.
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martin, along with Ken, I like this too! I am making an effort to be in conversation with God all the time I'm awake. It's quite a challenge, but good for my soul! Because of this "practice" I'm doing, I've been aware of having judgmental thoughts about other people when I should be in conversation with Him about their situation. You're so right; we simply don't know enough. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete