Monday, July 11, 2011

Body and soul

Young_man_smoking_and_drinking-SPL‘You are always dragging me down,’ said I to my Body. ‘Dragging you down!’ replied my Body. ‘Well I like that! Who taught me to like tobacco and alcohol’? You, of course, with your idiotic adolescent idea of being “grown-up”. My palate loathed both at first: but you would have your way. Who put an end to all those angry and revengeful thoughts last night? Me, of course, by insisting on going to sleep. Who does his best to keep you from talking too much and eating too much by giving you dry throats and headaches and indigestion? Eh?’‘And what about sex?’ said I. ‘Yes, what about it?’ retorted the Body. ‘If you and your wretched imagination would leave me alone I’d give you no trouble. That’s Soul all over; you give me orders and then blame me for carrying them out.’

C.S. Lewis, “Scraps,” God in the Dock (Eerdmans: 1970) 216-217.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, blogging buddy, this has a lot of body and soul too - http://www.comicbookandmoviereviews.com/2011/08/wwwbodyandsoulcomiccom.html

    ReplyDelete